Finding Joy In the Journey...

Finding joy in the journey!

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sick baby :(

Alexis started showing some signs of a food allergy when she was five weeks old.

One day I went to change her diaper and saw what looked like blood.
It totally scared me to death and I called the doctor immediately...
When I brought her in they did some tests and confirmed that it was in fact blood. 
I of course started bawling like a crazy person...I think my reaction scared Alexis more than anything.
It is so scary when your baby is sick and they can't tell you what is wrong, or why 
there would be blood in her diaper??
After talking to me and asking me about her behavior
they thought she might be sensitive to dairy or soy products that were in my diet. 
I went off all dairy and soy for six weeks to see if it would help her.
It didn't seem to be helping much...she was still fussy and had some blood in her stool :(

We took her to a GI specialist who told me to stop nursing and put her
on a special formula that would take out all dairy, soy and other things that she might be sensitive to and that might be passing through my breast milk.  
We were both pretty darn sad about the switch...but we managed to get her on the formula.
She changed really quick and became such a happy little one!

NO more blood...and TONS more smiles! :)

She has been on the formula for about 4 months now. 
Everything seemed (and still seems :) to be going well...
I never saw blood in her stool again and she has been happy and content. 

Her GI specialist has been keeping up with her every couple of weeks and wanted to do a few tests to make sure the problem was resolved before we went ahead and started her on baby food. 
When the test results came back there was one positive result for white blood cells in her stool.
He said it was most likely caused by some inflammation in her colon.
He wanted to then do more tests to make sure that there was nothing bigger going on.

He decided to do a colonoscopy and a scope of her throat. 

I was extremely nervous and wanted her to just be better!
I couldn't understand why the formula didn't fix the problem.

We took her in last Thursday for the procedures.
One of the saddest days of my life...and hers I'm sure!
They had to give her an IV and put her to sleep to do the tests.

The nurse came in to take her away and she gave us a huge grin as she left the room...not knowing what was going to happen. That broke my heart.

They told us she would be extremely sad when she woke up from anaesthesia and boy were they right.
The recovery room was down the hall and I could hear her screaming as if she was right next to me!
I couldn't wait for them to bring her to me. I just wanted to hold her and comfort her.
When they brought her to me she wouldn't stop screaming and got really sick. 
She gagged and kept choking on what looked like foam...and was having a really hard time coming out of the medicine. 
The nurse had to help me calm down because I was a nervous wreck!
It was horrible.
After about 30 min she finally calmed down and let Nate snuggle her on the hospital bed. 

About an hour after the test she started to smile and laugh at us again :)

Once the medicine wore off she calmed down and returned to her normal self.
THANK GOODNESS!!

Her doctor came in and showed us all of the pictures of the procedures.
The scope of her throat looked great. All healthy!
The colonoscopy showed some small ulcers and a few little irritations.
He took some samples and told us he would call us with the results in about a week.

He did say that he didn't see anything that would be cause for major concern or any reason we couldn't start her on some baby food. I was very relieved and felt reassured by his comments.
We are waiting to hear back from the samples he took.
I am nervous and a little stressed but have a feeling of peace.
We have had so many people praying for her and wishing her well.
She has been so happy and shows no sign of pain or discomfort...
and there is no blood in her stool anymore so I feel like it has mostly resolved itself anyway.
I will be nervous until the tests come back, but I am hopeful that everything will be okay! 

Our little munchkin at the hospital :(
She was SO brave!

This was after she was all done...and finally calmed down.
Her sad little puffy eyes.

As we left the hospital she started talking in the back seat...
by the time we got home she was laughing at us.
 She is fully recovered and is the sweetest little thing ever! 
We love her more than words.
We will keep you all updated on the results :)

P.S. Later that day we let her try sweet potatoes for the first time...they were a success!
She loves them! (Still needs some practicing on swallowing, but loves it!)

1 comment:

  1. So sad, I can't even imagine. Well, maybe I can. I'm sure I felt something similar to it when Sasha was in the NICU. You are a tough one! Hope Lexi is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete