Finding Joy In the Journey...

Finding joy in the journey!

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Nixon's Birth Story and February!


Be prepared for the longest post ever!

I can't believe my baby is 3 weeks old today. 
I know if I don't post about his birth then I will never remember all of the special moments and details that are so important to me... so I better do it now before I forget! 

I went to my 36 week doctors appointment on Feb 7th. I knew I was getting closer because every bone in my body ached and the baby was super low. I had lots of back pain and knew my body was getting close to being done or about to give up on me! I felt ready to have this baby and was disappointed that I still had 4 weeks to go... much to my surprise my doctor told me that I was dilated to a 4 and our little man could be born any time. I knew it! Before I left I told my doctor that saturday was "baby day" and to be ready for a birthday party! He then informed me he was not working over the weekend and to wait until monday so he could delivery me. BOO!!! I on the other hand I wanted this baby here. It wouldn't be that bad to have another doctor deliver me if it meant I didn't have to be pregnant anymore :) 

The morning of saturday February 9th came and I was determined to meet my little man! We started the morning off with a LONG walk to the park. I then came home and did laundry and house work. I even marched through commercials as I was watching the TV :) lame I know... but I was desperate at this point. The things a pregnant woman will do... As I picked Lexi up to put her in her crib for a nap my back started to hurt worse than normal. During her nap I got a lot of pressure in my back and lower abdomen. It wasn't a sharp pain and didn't hurt too much just more of an uncomfortable feeling. I couldn't time any of the "pressure pains" as I would call them. I didn't really know what to think of it. It went on for 2 hours and I just felt weird. I decided to go into the hospital to get checked. It was such a weird feeling. The best way to describe it is needing to go #2 and can't... how is that for ya! 

Once I got changed and ready to be examined I felt a little stupid. I didn't want to get sent home because I was feeling a little bit of pressure...I started to second guess myself. 

The nurse hooked me up to the monitors and said "YEP! You are contracting every 2 min!" That pressure feeling like you need to poop is actually a contraction! Well who would have thought?! haha
I am glad and grateful that I wasn't screaming in pain but rather having a dull annoying bit of pressure. I will take that any day! They then checked me and told me I was dilated to a 6 and would be staying.

Those words will NEVER get old!!!!

I remember when the nurse told me I was staying with Lexi.
It hit me so hard. It really meant she was coming. All the time I had been waiting to see her and meet her was FINALLY here. Those words are so powerful!

I couldn't believe it! I was going to meet my baby. My little boy. Was he going to be like his big sister? Look like his daddy? Would he be healthy? The emotions kicked in high gear and I pretty much had a melt down right there! Mostly because I thought of my little Lexi...I was going to have to spend my very first night away from her. The nurses joked with me and said I was a dedicated mama for not leaving my 20 month old not even once. They couldn't believe that the first night I would be away from her was also the night I would be having a second child. 

I felt a little bit of guilt at this point. I was sad she wasn't going to be my baby anymore. I called my sister and she talked me through the moment :) 

I then got excited! I couldn't wait to meet my angel who has been waiting to come to our family. 

THANK GOODNESS for the most fabulous friends on earth. I couldn't do this mommy thing without them. My wonderful friend Mandy took Lexi right away. She assured me she would be fine.  I felt completely comfortable with her spending the night and knew she would be taken care of! 

I have another amazing and wonderful friend who came and took some pictures of us at the hospital. I love the little details she captured and will forever cherish the memories and moments of these pictures. 


I showed every nurse Lexi's picture on my phone.
 They assured me that she was the most adorable little girl ever...I agreed! :)

It all went extremely fast from this point forward!
I was then hooked up to the IV and given my epidural.
The IV hurts WAY WORSE than the epidural and by far was the hardest part of my whole delivery.
I hate that darn thing!

I was checked about an hour later and was told I was at a 7! At the same time she checked me my water broke and pretty much flooded the room. CRAZY!!!

She then got me comfy and told us to call her if we needed her.
About 30 min later I felt the most intense pressure of all time and could pretty much feel my little man coming... I told Nate to call the nurse! Sure enough I was ready and he was already starting to make his little entrance. I was then told to cross my legs and wait for the doctor to get to the hospital!

IT WAS TIME!!!
The doctor arrived and I pushed through 4 contractions and my little boy was born.
Sweetest moment ever. One Nate and I will cherish forever in our hearts.
It's the most amazing moment to see your own child come into this world.

They put him on my chest and the most emotional and spiritual feeling came over me. 
I was so grateful for the blessing I had been given and was 100% in love with him.

He had the most adorable frown and cried for an hour straight. 
We got to snuggle him for 2 hours before they came and took him away. It was the best experience and we just sat and examined our little creation.

Nixon Ray Bartholomew
Feb 9th, 2013 at 11:22pm
6 pounds 15 ounces
19 1/2 in

These pics are a little out of order... but you get the idea.
Some are from my friend Kiya and a few are from our camera right after Nixon was born. 




I do have to write a bit about these few pictures. This was the moment that Lexi met her little brother for the first time. She had aslo just spent her first night away from us. I think she was wondering what on earth was going on. It was precious and sweet to see her shocked expression.

I could not stop crying. For some reason seeing my two children together was the best. She loves him already and I pray that they will be the best of friends.

Our new little family :)


She then of course decided to jump on the bed and have a pillow fight with dad :)


These were taken right after Nixon was born

Meeting my baby for the first time









Coming Home 




We had lots of help when we got home! My mom was here for a week and then Nate's mom came for a week. It was so fabulous to have the support and help from the best mom's ever. Lexi also had some extra time with Nate... she is so obsessed with him. I am jealous of the relationship they have with each other. It is the most precious thing ever! 




I found this princess in our closet sitting on the baby bouncer :)

I love my mom. 
I hope I can be half the mom she is to me.



Lexi loved all of the nanny attention. She misses them and still wakes up and asks for them.

Snuggling our BIG baby :)

Valentines Day was thrown somewhere in the mix of coming home...
our days kind of rolled together but we still celebrated our sweet little valentines!

Nate made this cutie heart pancakes and heart strawberries. She was in heaven :)



I took a few newborn pics of Nixon
I love him!


My kiddos!
Alexis really is the best big sister.
She loves her brother and is so helpful.
When he cries she gets so concerned and tries to comfort him. It is the sweetest! 



We finally managed to get out of the house for a bit one morning and take Lexi to the park.
She is growing right up! She climbs the stairs and goes down the slides all by herself!


A few more of my kids! I can't believe I am a mom of 2. I'm sure I left out a TON of details and moments of our last month... but at least I have documented something!!! 
We are finally starting to get a routine together and I am feeling hopeful that someday I can manage two children safely :) haha.
We love our new addition and will keep the updates coming! 




Now on to making March the best month yet! :) 

4 comments:

  1. Oh Kayla! I am so happy for you!! I kinda can't wait to have another one! So fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on little Nix. He is adorable. Can't wait to meet him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I love reading birth stories. What a cute little family you have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures from the hospital are so great! Pictures you guys will love and cherrish forever!!! I love that you had photos especially of that first meeting between nixon and lexi! So fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete